Top 5 Electrical Hazards in Your Home

Electricity surges throughout every home, creating potential hazards for us all if not managed properly. To minimize the dangers posed by electrical hazards, it’s important to identify them before they can become a problem. Here are five of the most common electrical hazards in your home you should be aware of to prevent incidents.

Bad Wiring

Some people try to take on do-it-yourself tasks around the home in order to save money on hiring a professional. While this can be a budget-saving practice in some bad wiring electrical hazards in the homeareas of the home, electrical wiring is best left to the experts. Bad wiring greatly increases incidents of surges, arc faults and house fires. Wiring that is worn, damaged or corroded can also cause electrical incidents and should be replaced by an experienced professional.

Look around your home for places where wiring has gone bad and take steps to get it repaired immediately. Some of the most common wiring hazards are things like: cracked wire insulation, frayed cords, loose connections, damaged appliances, pinched wires and overheated wires.

Lightbulbs

Lightbulbs have the potential to create a fire hazard when they are plugged in and exposed to flammable material. Upholstery like drapes, bed sheets and plastics can ignite if left in contact with a burning bulb. Also make sure you turn the switch off before replacing lightbulbs to prevent shock and use the proper wattage bulb so the circuit doesn’t overheat.

Water

We need electric outlets in our kitchens, bathrooms and other spaces where water runs but they should be well clear of faucets and spouts. When water comes in contact with electricity, severe shock can occur, so it’s important to never use a plugged in electric device with water running or with wet hands.

If an electrical fire does start, it’s imperative to never try to put it out with water. Doing this will only strengthen the fire and cause serious electrocution and even death. The best thing to do is have a fire extinguisher ready in your home and make sure everyone knows where it is and how to use it. It just might save your home and even your lives.

Covering Cords and Wires

Covering electrical cords and wires with rugs or other furniture and bunching cords together can cause overheating as well and lead to a fire. Make sure you keep your electrical wires uncovered and spread apart to avoid overheating and spread your TVs, computers and other appliances apart to give them enough room to properly ventilate.

Children

Babies and toddlers tend to put their hands where they shouldn’t and all too many times children have been shocked by putting objects or fingers into wall sockets. If you have young children at home, the best thing to do is keep unused wall sockets covered with plastic closures that prevent them from being accessed by young hands and keep a close eye on children’s behavior around the house. Their inquisitive nature could lead to an incident that could have been avoided.

If you see damaged or worn wiring around your home, don’t wait. Call Reddi Electrical today at 316-771-9699 for immediate service.

Resources found on our website are provided as general guidelines, and Reddi Industries does not assume any liability resulting from the provided information.

Previous: Troubleshooting a Faulty Light Switch Next: Causes and Solutions for Light Bulbs that Keep Burning Out